This training is provided with a combination of online and in person sessions designed to provide the student with a detailed understanding of the CSA Z662 as it applies to the design of energy industry transportation pipelines in Canada.
This course is designed, with a combination of fundamental and advanced content, to provide practical understanding for application of the mandatory Safety and Loss Management Systems elements with CSA Z662 Design and Material concepts.
The training content focus is the correct application of CSA Z662 principles and requirements under Federal and Provincial Regulations.
Registrants will be provided a study guide and informative handouts, with access to the course dashboard for pre and post lecture training videos. A limited number of practice exam questions will also be provided.
On Demand & Remote Access to Training
This course contains both online training videos and a live lecture.
Students are encouraged to ask questions during the live lecture and will have access to the instructor at the conclusion of online modules.
All courses require access to a suitable electronic device (computer/laptop/tablet) with an internet connection for access to the training dashboard and videos.
Electronic devices are not required during attendance at the Live Lecture.
Students will establish a unique login credential for accessing the Training Dashboard during the registration process.
Who Should Attend
Whether your responsibilities include the design, construction management or system operation of Oil and Gas Pipeline systems, this course provides both foundational and advanced training for the proper application of mandatory codes, regulations, and standards in the design and material selection of energy transportation pipelines.
The training includes details on the new requirements for hydrogen and hydrogen blend pipelines which form the primary changes to the 2023 edition of the CSA Z662 standard.
This training is essential for project managers, design and engineering staff including EIT’s, and Construction Management staff who require a clear understanding of the CSA Z662 design and material selection concepts.
Procurement, QC, Inspection, Operating and Integrity management personnel may also benefit from the content of this course.
Course Materials Included
- Pipeline Practical Guide
- Access to pre and/or post course videos
- Sample test questions (based on the CPA Council level 3 design credential)
This training course is essential for anyone involved in design and material selection for energy transportation projects in the Canadian Energy Pipeline Transportation sector.
Whether your responsibilities include project management, design, procurement, construction, QC, inspection, operations or integrity, this training provides a comprehensive knowledge base for the scope, definitions and mandatory application of CSA Z662 Safety and Loss Management Systems to the design aspects of your role.
Detailed instruction on the application of the section 4 design requirements is supplemented with instruction for design considerations for sections 13 and 17 dealing with non-metallic materials and hydrogen respectively.
The training provides concept identification and explanations with direct reference to regulatory mandates.
The CER onshore pipeline regulations is reviewed with reference to some Provincial statutes providing a clear understanding of the authority and application of enforceable requirements.
This training course provides participants with an overview of the CSA Z662 Oil and Gas Pipeline System requirements and their proper application with respect to design and material selection concepts.
Upon completion participants will:
- Understand the scope, framework, and personal obligations of the CSA Z662:23 including Safety and Loss Management System requirements.
- Understand the use of published reference documents such as the ASME B31.3.
- Understand the application of defined terms including ‘Designated Geographic Area’.
- Understand the Canadian Onshore Pipeline Regulations (with CER and Provincial comparatives).
- Understand the mandatory legal requirements from jurisdictions including CER, BCER, AER and other Provincial jurisdictional bodies (based on lecture presentation location).
- Understand the practical application of CSA Z662 management system requirements to pipeline design concepts identified in section 4 of the CSA Z662:23.
- Understand the practical application of CSA Z662 management system processes to the selection and qualification of materials detailed in section 5 of the CSA Z662:23.
- Understand CSA Z662 Oil and Gas Pipeline Systems technical concepts for pipeline design and material selection.
- Understand the design requirements and obligations for application of trenchless technologies including Horizontal Directional Drilling.
- Understand the context and application of additional requirements in the design of hydrogen or hydrogen blend pipelines.
- Understand the application of engineering assessments in the process of converting existing pipelines for use with hydrogen blends.
Participants will receive a Certificate and/or CEU/PDH credits as applicable.
Live Lecture Agenda
Training is from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm both days and includes coffee breaks, lunch breaks and exam(s).
The lecture and course videos will address the following:
- Introduction to the CSA Z662 and Canadian regulatory system
- Document Scope and Authority
- CSA Z662 clauses 1 & 2 – essential elements
- Z662 clause 3 – Safety and Loss Management System concepts and application
- Regulatory Scorecard and Mandatory minimum legal requirements
- Management Systems – design process requirements
- Clause 4 – Minimum design criteria and concepts including application of trenchless technologies
- Clause 5 – Selection and qualification of pipeline construction materials
- Procurement overview with supplementary administrative and technical requirements
- Clause 8 – Developing test criteria and testing execution plans
- Clause 13 – Design requirement using non metallic materials
- Clause 17 – Hydrogen
- Annex B – Risk Management
- Annex C – Limit states design
In order to execute compliant projects in the Canadian Oil and Gas Pipeline transportation sector, companies require personnel to be trained and qualified with functional knowledge of both the regulatory and Z662 requirements.
This course contains minimum regulatory requirements for Oil and Gas Pipelines and is a critical element for anyone who must demonstrate competency required by regulation in the Canadian Oil and Gas industry.
This course of study is suitable preparation to write the CPA Council Level 3 Designer credential.
Code Qualification Exam
This course includes a code qualification exam registration. Credentials are issued by the CPA Council and provide evidence of code and standard comprehension at standardized levels recognized in the Canadian Oil and Gas sector.
Following course registration, you will be contacted by a NASA Corp Canada representative to confirm your registration for the code qualification challenge exam at the conclusion of your study.
CPA Council Level 3 Exam – minimum pass mark 80%