On Demand & Remote Access to Training
This course contains both online training videos and a live lecture. For individuals unable to attend the live lecture, a pre-recording of the live lecture can be provided.
Applicants wishing to attend in person should choose the blue ‘Register Now’ button and select the blue ‘Live Lecture’ option.
Applicants wishing to complete the entire course remotely should choose the blue ‘Register Now’ button and select the red ‘On-Demand’ option.
All courses require access to a suitable electronic device (computer/laptop/tablet) with an internet connection for access to the training dashboard and videos.
Electronic devices are not required during attendance at the Live Lecture.
Students will establish a unique login credential for accessing the Training Dashboard during the registration process.
Who Should Attend
Whether your responsibilities include design, installation or electrical system operation of Oil and Gas Pipeline systems, this course provides the foundational training for the proper application of mandatory codes, regulations, and standards for energy transportation pipelines.
This training is essential for Electrical Engineers, Electricians, project managers, design and engineering staff including EIT’s, and Construction Management staff who require a clear understanding of the general and Hazardous Location electrical concepts for pipelines. Procurement, QC, Inspection, Operating and Integrity management personnel may also benefit from the content of this course.
The content provides the necessary prerequisites and framework for future intermediate and advanced level industry training.
Course Materials Included
- Pipeline Practical Guide
- Access to pre and/or post course videos
- Sample test questions (based on the CPA Council level 2 electrical system concepts credential)
This training course is essential for anyone involved in design, installation or operation of electrical systems for energy transportation projects in the Canadian Oil and Gas Pipeline sector.
Whether your responsibilities include project management, design, procurement, construction, QC, inspection, operations or integrity, this training provides a comprehensive knowledge base for the scope, definitions and mandatory application of Canadian Electrical Codes and Standards under a CSA Z662 Safety and Loss Management System.
The training provides concept identification and explanations with direct reference to regulatory mandates.
The CER onshore pipeline regulations is reviewed with reference to some Provincial statutes providing a clear understanding of the authority and application of enforceable requirements.
This course provides the necessary background and prerequisite to enable participants to proceed with intermediate and advanced level pipeline electrical training.
This training course provides participants with an overview of the CSA C22.1 Canadian Electrical Code, the C22.2 series of standards related to Hazardous Location Electrical and the Z662-19 Oil and Gas Pipeline System requirements.
Upon completion participants will:
- Understand the scope, framework, and personal obligations of the CSA Z662-19 including Safety and Loss Management System requirements.
- Understand the use of published reference documents such as the CSA C22.1 and C22.2 No. 60079 series.
- Understand the application of defined terms including ‘Hazardous location’.
- Understand the Canadian Onshore Pipeline Regulations (with CER and Provincial comparatives).
- Understand the mandatory legal requirements from jurisdictions including CER, BCOGC, AER and other Provincial jurisdictional bodies (based on lecture presentation location).
- Understand the practical application of CSA Z662-19 management system requirements to pipeline electrical requirements identified in the Canadian Electrical Code.
- Understand the practical application of CSA Z662-19 management system processes to the selection and qualification of Hazardous Location equipment in accordance with the CSA C22.2 60079 series of standards.
- Understand Jurisdictional authorities and overlap between pipeline and electrical authorities.
Participants will receive a Certificate and/or CEU/PDH credits as applicable.
Live Lecture Agenda
Training is from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm and includes coffee and lunch breaks.
The lecture and course videos will address the following:
- Introduction to the CSA Z662-19 and Canadian regulatory system
- Document Scope and Authority
- CSA Z662-19 clauses 1 & 2 – essential elements
- Z662 clause 3 – Safety and Loss Management System concepts and application
- Regulatory Scorecard and Mandatory minimum legal requirements
- Management Systems – design process requirements
- Canadian Electrical Codes and Standards overview and application
- Comparing and qualifying Zone and Division systems
- Procurement overview with supplementary equipment marking requirements
In order to execute compliant electrical projects in the Canadian pipeline transportation sector, companies require personnel to be certified for their electrical roles in addition to being trained and qualified with functional knowledge of both the regulatory and Z662 requirements.
This course contains minimum regulatory requirements for Electrical work on Oil and Gas Pipelines and is an essential element for anyone who must demonstrate competency in the Canadian Oil and Gas industry.
This course of study is acceptable preparation to write the CPA Council Level 1 General Qualification exam for administrative and management staff.
Electricians, Electrical Engineers, Pipeline Designers and other personnel with electrical elements in their roles will find the training suitable to write their Level 2 electrical concepts qualification exam.
Code Qualification Exam
This course includes a code qualification exam registration. Credentials are issued by the CPA Council and provide evidence of code and standard comprehension at standardized levels recognized in the Canadian Oil and Gas sector.
Following course registration, you will be contacted by a NASA Corp Canada representative to assist in choosing and scheduling your chosen code qualification challenge exam.
CPA Council Level 1 Exam – minimum pass mark 70%; or
CPA Council Level 2 Exam – minimum pass mark 80%
**Individuals who do not require a credential demonstrating their comprehension of the subject material may opt out the exam during the registration stage.
On-Site Training Available
This course can be provided at your location and is suitable for customization to meet your corporate training program requirements.
Contact Us to arrange for your customized training today!