API 1169 Pipeline Inspector Essentials
Based on the API 1169 recommendations and CSA Z662 mandatory requirements for General Pipeline Construction Inspectors under Federal and Provincial Regulations
UPCOMING LIVE LECTURE PRESENTATIONS
Calgary, AB – March 13, 2023
Edmonton, AB – September 18, 2023
This course is designed to provide practical understanding for application of the mandatory Safety and Loss Management Systems elements with API 1169 guidelines applied to mandatory CSA Z662 inspection requirements.
The training content focus is the correct application of CSA Z662 principles and requirements under Federal and Provincial Regulations.
Registrants will be provided a study guide and/or informative handouts, with access to the course dashboard for pre or post lecture training videos and practice exam questions.
On Demand & Remote Access to Training
This course contains both online training videos and a live lecture. For individuals unable to attend the live lecture, a pre-recording of the live lecture can be provided.
Applicants wishing to attend in person should choose the blue ‘Register Now’ button and select the blue ‘Live Lecture’ option.
Applicants wishing to complete the entire course remotely should choose the blue ‘Register Now’ button and select the red ‘On-Demand’ option.
All courses require access to a suitable electronic device (computer/laptop/tablet) with an internet connection for access to the training dashboard and videos.
Electronic devices are not required during attendance at the Live Lecture.
Students will establish a unique login credential for accessing the Training Dashboard during the registration process.
Who Should Attend
Whether your responsibilities include the survey, construction, welding, coating, testing or commissioning of Oil and Gas Pipeline systems, this course provides the foundational training for the proper inspection of mandatory codes, regulations, and standards for energy transportation pipelines.
This training is essential for all inspection personnel. This content is also beneficial for project managers, and QC staff who require a clear understanding of the API 1169 recomendations and CSA Z662 mandatory inspection requirements.
The content provides the necessary prerequisites and framework for future intermediate and advanced level industry training.
Course Materials Included
- Pipeline Practical Guide
- Access to pre and/or post lecture videos
- Sample Canadian test questions (based on the CPA Council level 3 API 1169 Inspector exam)
- Sample US test questions (based on the US Code of Federal Regulations for those individuals writing both Canadian and US exams to earn the Inspector’s Red Seal)
This training course is essential for anyone involved in inspection of energy transportation projects in the Canadian Oil and Gas Pipeline sector.
Whether your responsibilities include inspection, procurement, construction, QC, operations or integrity functions, this training provides a comprehensive knowledge base for the scope, definitions and mandatory application of CSA Z662 Safety and Loss Management Systems to the inspection aspects of your role.
The training provides concept identification and explanations with direct reference to regulatory mandates.
The CER onshore pipeline regulations is reviewed with reference to some Provincial statutes providing a clear understanding of the authority and application of enforceable requirements.
This course provides the necessary background and prerequisite to enable participants to proceed with advanced level pipeline inspector training.
This training course provides participants with an overview of the API 1169 recommendations and CSA Z662 Oil and Gas Pipeline System inspection requirements, with a focus on proper application. API 1169 recommendations that conflict with Z662 requirements and accordingly not permissible in Canada are identified.
Upon completion participants will:
- Understand the scope, framework, and personal obligations of the CSA Z662 including Safety and Loss Management System requirements.
- Understand the use of published reference documents such as the API 1169.
- Understand the application of defined terms including ‘Tie-In’ and ‘DGA’.
- Understand the Canadian Onshore Pipeline Regulations (with CER and Provincial comparatives).
- Understand the mandatory legal requirements from jurisdictions including CER, BCOGC, AER and other Provincial jurisdictional bodies (based on lecture presentation location).
- Understand the practical application of CSA Z662 management system requirements to pipeline inspection concepts identified in section 6 thru 10 of the CSA Z662.
- Understand the practical application of API 1169 recommended practices to the oversight of material receiving and construction processes during new construction, alteration, additions and repair projects.
- Understand CSA Z662 Oil and Gas Pipeline Systems inspection and documentation concepts for pipeline construction.
- Understand the context of relevant ASME B31 inspection requirements when assemblies are used in a Z662 designed system.
Participants will receive a Certificate and/or CEU/PDH credits as applicable.
Live Lecture Agenda
Training is from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm and includes coffee and lunch breaks.
The lecture and course videos will address the following:
- Introduction to the CSA Z662 and Canadian regulatory system
- Document Scope and Authority
- CSA Z662 clauses 1 & 2 – essential elements
- Z662 clause 3 – Safety and Loss Management System concepts and application
- Regulatory Scorecard and Mandatory minimum legal requirements
- API 1169 structure and recommended practices
- Clause 6 – minimum pipeline construction and inspection requirements
- Clause 7 – 9 – Inspection of joining, testing and coating requirements
- Procurement close-out overview with supplementary administrative requirements (incoming material inspection protocols)
In order to execute compliant projects in the Canadian Oil and Gas Pipeline transportation sector, companies require personnel to be trained and qualified with functional knowledge of both the regulatory and Z662 requirements.
This course contains minimum regulatory requirements for Oil and Gas Pipelines and is an essential element for anyone who must demonstrate competency in the Canadian Oil and Gas industry.
This course of study is acceptable preparation to write the CPA Council Level 1 General Qualification exam for administrative and management staff.
General Pipeline Inspectors and other personnel with quality or integrity oversight experience in their roles will find the training suitable to write the CPA Council Level 3 API 1169 General Pipeline Inspector’s exam, or the ICP’s American 1169 exam.
Code Qualification Exam
This course includes a code qualification exam registration. Credentials are issued by the CPA Council and provide evidence of code and standard comprehension at standardized levels recognized in the Canadian Oil and Gas sector.
*Due to currency exchange rates, registration for foreign credential exams must be done directly with the foreign issuer.
Following course registration, you will be contacted by a NASA Corp Canada representative to assist in choosing and scheduling your chosen code qualification challenge exam.
CPA Council Level 1 Exam – minimum pass mark 70%; or
CPA Council Level 3 Exam – minimum pass mark 80%
Foreign Credential Exams – minimum pass mark is variable
**Individuals who do not require a credential demonstrating their comprehension of the subject material may opt out the exam during the registration stage.
On-Site Training Available
This course can be provided at your location and is suitable for customization to meet your corporate training program requirements.
Contact Us to arrange for your customized training today!